Welcome...

Hello and welcome to Sanity Is An Illusion.
Sanity Is An Illusion is a rambling, meandering, ranting and raving blog in which I post my thoughts and discuss my views on... well... everything. Please, leave comments with your views on my posts, I'm bound to rebutt them. Don't be surprised if I occasionally come across as violent, twisted, cynical, bitchy or callous... I have that side to me. I'm a scorpio, in every sense of the word. I have many aspects to my personality... hopefully you'll get to experience a few of them here. I'm not sure how entertaining my blog is, I don't know if I'm ever fascinating or intriguing or funny, all I know is that this is who I am... Take it or leave it.
Ciao,
Sarah.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Aspirin

Okay, so I decided to research aspirin today because I was curious as to how it worked. I've already researched THE HELL out of paracetemol and ibuprofen, so I decided it was time to give aspirin a go....




...it's not to pleasant...

That said, nor is any painkiller. They all come with risk. Which leads me to the topic of risk.






There are those in the world who regard themselves risk-takers. They do things which they (and the rest of their society) believe are dangerous, and thus, risky. However, I ask you to question the meaning of the word 'risk'. The dictionary (or at least the Encarter dictionary on my laptop) defines risk as the "statistical odds of danger: the statistical chance of danger from something, especially from the failure of an engineered system". Note the use of the word 'danger'. It is another word that we ought to more clearly define, as one person's definition of danger may differ to that of another. A professional rock-climber may not see scaling Everest as dangerous, while the accountant most certainly will. That may be a bad analogy, but you get my point.

Words are complex things. Their denotative and connotative meanings change and adapt over time. A single word may have multiple synonyms, all which have a slightly different attitude, tone or meaning, and all of which fit a particular situation perfectly. Words are delicate things, and when used properly can be incredibly beautiful indeed. Take poetry, and any song that wasn't written by a rapper or a cocain-addicted-two-dollar-hooker. I am a self-confessed word nerd, I am a poet, a lyricist, a budding author... Words are my domain... they are my art and my expression.


Now, since it's 3:00am, I believe I ought to get some sleep before I must endure another day of intense boredom. At the very least this post provided some insight into the workings of my mind... How I start on a topic like aspirin and wind up on the topic of language... Of course, if I had more time I'd return to the topic of aspirin and actually get to the point I was planning on making, but that is not the case.
Until a more decent hour today,
Ciao.

2 comments:

Someone said...

wow, aspirin can really be risky... now i know i mustn't take that

Valkyrie Uruz said...

Yeah, it was the first Non-Steriodal Anti-Inflammatry Drug (NSAID) to be discovered. It has an anti-coagulate affect. The risk includes the development of gastrointestinal ulcers, tinnitus and stomach bleeding, particularly when taken in high doses. That does not mean you shouldn't take aspirin, it just means don't reach for the painkillers every time you have a mild headache.